Articles have been written attempting to identify the Mystery Machine's roots, but, if I recall correctly, the cartoon van had traits from several 60s vans, all, of course, mid-engine. This 1963 Econoline is as good a starting point as any and wears its regalia well. Further, the builder made a few mods to match the show.
This van is, oddly enough, powered by a V6 from a Camaro (generation/year unknown) and is backed by a Chrysler automatic transmission and rear end. The combination is odd, but likely made of reliable, easy-to-work-on parts. It does have AC and power brakes, which we'll take as good news.
The seller would prefer to keep it, if it wasn't for his meddling kids growing up.
Click for eBay ad
Longwood, FL, USA
Photo quality is not great, but the van is.
Front-mounted spare (or faux spare?) looks right.
Rear ensure no excessive visibility.
Keystone wheels to as good a job as any of replicating the flower wheels in the show.
This is the only interior shot, but it appears to indicate that quite a lot was done in the cockpit. The seller indicates that the rear floor is diamond plate and the walls have been paneled. We imagine that means no seats (?)?
Scooby Doo Mystery Machine!
This Mystery Machine started life as a 1963 Ford Econoline. I built it for my kids and have had years of fun with it. They are all older now and it is time to let someone else enjoy this cool vehicle.
It took over 2 years to build and has been completely customized! This is not just a cheap replica. It was done right and look better than any other 'Mystery Machine' I have seen.
Here are the highlights:
- A Camaro V6 Engne
- A 700r4 Automatic Transmission
- A Dodge 8 3/4 Rear End
- New Drum Brakes
- Cold Air Products A/C System (with heat)
- Autometer gauges that light up various colors
- New Tires (under 1000 miles)
- Under-floor power brake booster system
- Mega Squirt computer system with custom tune.
- Custom orange and green seats
- Custom painted Scooby Doo interior
- Custom Mystery Machine paint job (no decals)
- Custom center console flows into the original dashboard (all metal)
- Dog paw brake pedal, human foot-shaped gas pedal
- Dogbone floor shifter (B&M shifter)
- Custom fiberglass 'flower' tire holder on the front
- Custom steel bumpers (chrome coated)
- Custom Mystery Machine front end (round blinkers, only one headlight per side, etc.)
- Rear floor is diaond plated and all walls have been paneled. Ready for you to customize!
I am open to trades or partial trades.
I will accept cash, cashiers check, PayPal (buyer pays the fees), or a personal check but the vehicle does not leave until that payment clears my bank.
Buyer pays shipping costs or is welcome to pick it up in-person.
Feel free to contact me with questions. 321-xxx-xxxx